Pierniczki are Polish gingerbread cookies. We make them every year and since it is almost Christmas, I thought I'd share a simple recipe with you!
2 large eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ginger
1/2 teaspoon of cloves
2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup of honey
3 cups of flour (all-purpose)
1. In a big bowl, mix eggs with sugar until they are light. Add the spices, baking soda and honey.
2. Gradually add flower and mix until stiff dough is formed. Put a towel on top of the bowl and let it rest for an hour or two.
3. Heat the oven to 300 degrees.
4. Fit your trays with parchment paper.
5. Roll the dough to around 6 mm thick and using cutters, cut your Christmas shapes.
6. Lay the biscuits onto the tray and bake for 10 minutes or until they are light brown around the edges.
7. Let them cool and you can start decorating them using frosting. We usually make our own frosting out of icing sugar, lemon and some water and then we add food colouring.
After your gingerbread biscuits are decorated and dry, make sure to put them in a metal tin as this will ensure that the biscuits get softer. You can also keep these biscuits for over a year but only if you leave them in a metal tin.